Okinawa is the cradle of karate. Therefore, there are many sites and monuments related to karate all around the island. We have listed most of them on this page.
Unfortunately at that time, our center doesn't have historical tour programs per say. At the moment, people who wish to tour karate sites have 4 options, listed below in no particular order. Be aware that we are not involved and can’t be held responsible for the contents offered by the respective entities.
- Challenge Okinawa's tours
- Okinawa Karate Concierge's tours
- Hokama Tetsuhiro sensei might be available for a tour. You can contact him at 098-945-6148 (tel/fax). Hokama sensei speaks English
- Nakanishi Lucas (Please contact our center for details)
A commemorative ceremony was held at Shikan-en for the “1st Okinawa karate international tournament” to be held from August 1st. Held almost one month prior to the event, the ceremony aimed at raising mass media and public awareness, and to pray for the success of the event.
About 1,700 people from 50 countries and regions will participate in this event. In order to promote nationally and internationally Okinawa as the birthplace of karate, the UNESCO cultural heritage site Shikina royal garden was chosen as venue for the demonstration.
In front of the palace – “Udun”, the chairmen of the four federations of Okinawa karate, and advisers and consultants of the said organizations performed kata of karate and kobujutsu.
(1) All Okinawa Karatedō Federation President Sakugawa Masanobu sensei
(2) Okinawa Prefecture Karatedō Federation President Taira Yoshitaka sensei
(3) Okinawa Karate · Kobudō Federation President Ahagon Naonobu sensei
(4) Okinawa Prefecture Karatedō Rengōkai President Shimabukuro Zenpo sensei
(5) All Okinawa Karatedō Federation Adviser Senaga Yoshitsune sensei
(6) Okinawa Prefecture Karatedō Federation counselor Teruya Kōei sensei
(7) Okinawa Karate · Kobudō Federation Honorary President Higa Minoru sensei
(8) Okinawa Prefecture Karatedō Rengōkai Adviser Nakahodo Tsutomu sensei
(1) Sakugawa Masanobu sensei (2) Taira Yoshitaka sensei
(3) Ahagon Naonobu sensei (4) Shimabukuro Zenpo sensei
(5) Senaga Yoshitsune sensei (6) Teruya Kōei sensei
(7) Higa Minoru sensei (8) Nakahodo Tsutomu sensei
The videos of the demonstrations are available on the Okinawa Times newspaper website.
After the demonstrations, a commemorative photograph was taken in front of the “Banya” where Shurite master Matsumura Sōkon is said to have resided as administrator at the time of the abolition of the han system in 1879. Known as Bushi Matsumura, he is said to have instructed people like Kyan Chōtoku inside the royal garden.
On July 2nd, the 62th Okinawa Times Award presentation ceremony and celebration were held at the Naha Terrace Hotel in Naha City. In the sport division, Gōjū-ryū master Higaonna Morio was awarded by the Okinawa Times Newspaper President Taketomi Kazuhiko for his services rendered to Okinawa karate. Higaonna sensei is the IOGKF Saikō Shihan or Supreme Master.
Other awardees are: Okinawa Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Ltd. and Mr. Higashi Yoshikazu (Okinawa Tourist Representative Director and Chairman) in the industry division, Shimabukuro Masaharu (Shimbukuro Murasaki no kai Sōke) in the cultural division, and Hoshino Hitoshi (NPO Sangosha Sukore representative) in the social activities division.
Like every year, many people came to the venue to congratulate the awardees. More than 30 people from the Okinawa karate world also attended and celebrated the award together with the laureate.
Journalist Yanagihara Shigeo introduces Okinawa traditional karate from various points of view in a series of article.
1. The essence of Okinawa karate
2. Organizations spreading to the world
3. Karate master: Shinzato Katsuhiko
4. Karate master: Hokama Tetsuhiro
5. Karate popularization meritorious person: Itosu Ankō
6. Karate popularization meritorious person: Funakoshi Gichin
7. The way to the establishment of the "Karate Day"
8. Types of Karate: Sport · Martial Art · Health
9. Origin and Styles of karate: Shurite, Tomarite and Nahate
10. Leading figures who supported the Okinawa karate world after WWII
Introduction of styles should begin soon, with many masters to be introduced. Although in Japanese, using an online translating software might be a good way to read through this interesting series.