About our center
Date of establishment: May 1st, 2017
Project commissioner: Okinawa Prefecture Karate Promotion Division
Project manager: Okinawa Dento Karatedo Shinkokai
Supervisor: Ikemiyagi Masaaki, present Chief of secretariat of the Shinkokai
Center chief: Uehara Kunio
Public relations: Miguel Da Luz
- Multilingual information diffusion and networking in relation to Okinawa karate
- Multilingual support in regards to all types of inquiries on Okinawa karate
- Coordination between dojo and instructors within the prefecture and national and international karate enthusiasts
Address: 854-1 Tomigusuku, Tomigusuku City Okinawa 901-0241 (within the Okinawa Karate Kaikan)
Business hours: all days AM 9:00-PM 17:00
Closed: every Wednesday, December 30th – January 3rd
Official website: www.okic.okinawa
Established in the birthplace of karate Okinawa, we are here to assist those interested in Okinawa karate and kobudo. Acting impartially, here are some things we can do.
- Answering inquiries regarding to Okinawa karate and kobudo
- Organizing training in Okinawa for individuals or groups in local dojo or seminars at the Okinawa Karate Kaikan and other facilities.
- Supporting your needs by
– Finding accommodations, culture workshops and other types of services in Okinawa.
– Organizing a demonstration or a lecture.
– Organizing a karate historical sites tour in Okinawa.
– Supporting the realization of films, documentaries and reportage’s in relation with karate.
– Renting a karate uniform to train.
– Organize cultural activity trials (Tea ceremony, Japanese calligraphy, bullfighting “experience”, Okinawan cooking lessons, zazen, etc.)
→ Contact us through the contact form sending details on your project
Other related activities:
– For beginners, trial sessions are available at the Okinawa Karate Kaikan every Monday PM 3:30-4:30 and PM 5:00-6:00, and Tuesday Thursday and Friday PM 3:30-4:30. Price is 500 yen per person.
Contact us for more information.
At the moment, our center’s members can handle the following languages: Japanese, English, French and Spanish.
Depending on requests, our bureau works with local companies to answer your needs.
About training in Okinawa
In order to support people who wish to train in karate and kobudo in Okinawa, we are establishing a “training request system”. This will allow people to train in local Okinawan dojo, at the Okinawa Karate Kaikan and other facilities in all security and fairness. However, this system is primary designed for people who have no connection with Okinawan dojo, instructors and karate and kobudo organizations.
For international karate practitioners and martial artists who wish to train in Okinawa, until the system is completed, please contact us through the contact form.
If you are living in Okinawa, being either a student, a SOFA status or a US military personnel, or if you are living in Mainland Japan looking for an Okinawa karate kobudo dojo, please contact us and we will help you find a dojo in your surroundings.
About tuition fees
The tuition fees below are for reference. There might be some difference depending on dojo and instructors. One training session lasts approximately 90-120 minute.
Tuition fees are divided in 3 types: (a) Practice during a dojo regular training, (b) Personal tuition, (c) Seminar tuition
(a) Tuition during a dojo regular training
1 person, 1 training session participation: 3,000 yen (Tax included)
*The number of people that can be accepted differs depending on dojo.
(b) Personal tuition
Tuition out of regular dojo practices.
- Beginners, non-black belt holder applicant: 1 person, 1 training session: 3,000 yen (Tax included)
- Shodan (1st dan) up to Yodan (4th dan) black belt holder applicant: 1 person, 1 training session: 5,000 yen + training facility fee if required (Tax included)
- Godan (5th dan) and above rank holder applicant: 1 person, 1 training session: 8,000 yen + training facility fee if required (Tax included)
(c) Seminar tuition
For a seminar attended by 6 to 9 persons: 1 person, 1 time: 3,000 yen + training facility fee if required (Tax included)
For a seminar attended by 10 or more persons: 1 person, 1 time: 2,000 yen + training facility fee if required (Tax included)
- Considered training venues: local dojo, Okinawa Karate Kaikan, and other public facilities on Okinawa.
- For children up to university students, the tuition fees are 1/2 the fees mentioned above.
- Regarding all above tuition fees, discount may be available depending on the number of people attending.
- Until March 31st, 2018, the support regarding training arrangement is part of the Okinawa Prefecture project. Therefore it is available for free until this date. This might change after April 2018.
If you have any inquiries regarding the above information, feel free to contact us for further details.
The photographs used on this website are credited to Okinawa Media Planning Co. Ltd., Daniel López and Akamine (Fujii) Chika.